by John Logan
Book to see two or more Gradfest shows and get 30% off!
To book online simply put your tickets in your basket and the discount will automatically apply, or call box office on 01 896 2559 to book.
“No… I will make it a temple.”
After finally breaking out of the shadow of obscurity artist Mark Rothko is given the commission of a lifetime. To create a series of murals for the Four Seasons restaurant in Midtown Manhattan in exchange for thirty-five thousand dollars. And yet he stalls.
A young aspiring painter, Ken, is hired to assist him and as the two artists grapple with the task, questions surrounding the heavy burden of legacy, the meaning of art and its inevitable costs begin to surface. Threatened by the cynical reality of the art world, could Rothko's masterpiece become his downfall?
A vibrant drama based on true events; RED is a layered portrait of the raw act of creation and the birth of an artist.
“RED” premiered at the Donmar Warehouse Theatre, London (3 December 2009). Michael Grandage, Artistic Director Original Broadway Production Produced by Arielle Tepper Madover, Stephanie P. McClelland, Matthew Byam Shaw, Neal Street Productions, Fox Theatricals, Ruth Hendel/Barbara Whitman, Philip Hagemann/Murray Rosenthal and The Donmar Warehouse.
Image credit: Dan Collins
- Assistant Production Manager Luke Jenkins
- Stage Manager Maeve Smyth
- Assistant Stage Manager Ross Smith
- Set Construction Sean Cassidy Tyrell
- Costume Supervisor Maisey Lorimer
- Lighting Chief Iain Synnott
- LX Programmer Josh Quigley Power
- Scenic Artist Aimee Crilly
- Sound Department Leo Sheridan
- Sound Department Tom Barry